You can read the Q&A of deaccession plan of Montclair Art Museum (MAM) from the following link.
If you don’t want to read the whole press release, here is the summary:
1. About 50 items in total will be auctioned and raise $3 to $5 million for future acquisitions.
2. Despite the difficult economic times, MAM believes the auction market remains strong.
3. Some items are donated. Either donars or donar’s descendents will be notified.
4. Deaccessioning does not close the budget gap which is $600,000. It makes up the shrinkage in endowment.
5. Anyone who is interested in the full list is welcome to contact the Museum at (973) 746-5555, ext. 219 (Note, MAM staff told Geo that further interest should be directed to Cristie’s.)